Sunday 8 March 2015

Go Green!


Hello
Really sorry I went awol over the last couple of weeks but thank you for your patience  - it is appreciated as are all the visits you make n all the lovely comments you leave me for my creativity ! You always make me smile!


So what have i been up to ..... Well after enjoying making Tim's tag for Feb 2015 I decided to make a few more tags as its something I haven't done much of in the past .

Here's the first one which is kinda apt with me going MIA ! 



Yet again I set out with no real plan or design other than knowing I wanted to use 'Green' so I could join in with one or two of the challenges that are up n running at the mo .

So out came the distress paints, stencils , stamps n waxes n play (uh um, I mean creativity ) began .

I applied mowed lawn, forest moss, peeled paint , crushed olive n bundled sage distress paints on to my craft mat , spritz them with water to activate the water-reactive properties of the paint and then swiped the tag through the paints to cover . I then quickly spritz the painted tag with water to make the paints react and blend more. After heat drying I repeated the process using just a couple of the paint colours this time n adding tarnished brass into the mix . It was great seeing how that reacted when spritzed with water  - kinda looked like it was 'fizzing'!

Once completely dry, the background I had created reminded me of 'army' colours which conjured up happy memories I have of the many years I spent wearing those ever so comfy army trousers n Doc Martin Boots ( the height of fashion back then hahaha) so that swayed the direction my tag was going to take n it would also give me the opportunity to use one of my fave stamps too!

I stenciled onto the tag randomly using Tim Holtz Cargo stencil, Gathered Twigs n Walnut stain distress inks.
I then did a bit of light stamping using coffee archival (stamped off first onto paper) a number stamp n an arrow stamp I had in my stash .
Time for a bit of grunge next (as I was into the whole 'Grunge' thing too back in my heyday lol ) After mixing some texture paste with vintage photo distress reinker I applied it to the tag working it through Tim Holtz burlap stencil in a rugged kinda way. Once dry I finger touched the stenciling and caught the edges of the tag with gilding wax ! A quick spritz of walnut stain distress spray helped finish off the background .



Using my combat boot stamp by Deep Red  I stamped the boots using Coffee archival, cut them out n worked some walnut stain distress ink to give deeper colour in areas of shadow- this helped give the boots more perspective . I made a dark brown shadow out of card as this I thought would give the boots more dimension when mounted on the tag .




Finally the tag was brought together by adhering all the elements - the shadow, the boots n a rusty old flange to create a surround to the tag hole ! 


  Some jute was wound round the tag a few times n then tied in the centre with a muse token to embellish ! More jute was cut to length n double backed through the rusty washer  to create a hanger !  


Though I had no idea where I was going with this tag from the onset I  enjoyed creating it especially recalling all those happy memories of my younger years n knowing how lucky I am now to be able to reflect on them with fondness.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by n hope to be back later with my second tag . Would be lovely to see you then.

                                                          I would like to enter this tag into the following challenges

Art with Heart Challenge March “Go Green”

 

 

9 comments:

  1. Your tag is fantastic Amanda, I love the colours where you have used the embossing paste - and those boots are amazing .... I think I need to get that stamp now.... Wonderful work! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, love your tag, the mix of greens in the background is perfect for,your focal image. Love the texture too and the added jute twine. You could enter this into the Eileen Hull Art with Heart Challenge which is Go Green this month, there is a link on my blog. Hugs. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tag! Love all the texture! Those boots look so realistic! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great tag and love those boots . gorgeous greens and love the textures in your tag x trace x hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. thx ladies for all your lovely comments . They are very much appreciated especially as I wans't too sure about blogging this one xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this tag, masculine makes can be so tricky but this is fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serious combat style! I love how you've made those fab boots stand out and the spread twine for the muse token. You really are a very clever lady. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice tag! Great textures and color! Love the boot stamp!
    You rocked this awesome tag!

    Thanks for joining us at Art with Heart "Go Green" Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Tag, love the boots and the textures and mediums are amazing. Thanks for joining us on at Art with Heart Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .