Monday 29 June 2015

Time Travellers!


Hi Everyone ,
 hope you are all doing good and are loving the sunshine! Certainly adds some extra 'happy' to the days doesn't it ?

Well the clocks ticking n I have my entry for this months challenge over at A Vintage Journey to blog so here goes.......

This months Challenge theme is Celebration and as S@ndy says 'June is a month for so many wonderful events calling for a celebration.  It can be as simple as the last day of school, a wedding, an anniversary, a graduation, Father's Day or a birthday or anything else we wish to celebrate ! 
I have opted  to make a 'masculine' piece that could be used to celebrate any male occasion. I had Fathers day in mind and have used the Tim Holtz Stamp sets - Time Travellers one of my all time faves!
I was clearing my work space n came across the reminder of the piece of card I had used to cut the cabinet card die from to make last months project  Crazy Bird moves in ... n rather than 'bin it' I thought mmm I could use this at some point I'm sure .... n  yep this was that point!
I gave the frame a bricked effect by mixing some Distress Paint Frayed Burlap ) with Texture paste n applying it  through the Tim Holtz brick wall layering stencil . Once dry I  stamped randomly on the wall using a script stamp n Black Archival ink then inked the edges with Walnut Stain n Black Soot Distress Ink .
I die cut 3 cogs from Grunge board n gave them a more rusty look by mixing table salt (no vinegar lol) into black acrylic paint. Once dry I applied a layer of glue n seal to ensure the salt granules stayed in place. I added touches of brown and burnt umber acrylic paint with my finger and some gilding wax to the cog spokes. This was all an experiment as I had never tried it before (but needs must when you haven't got the 'text book products') n though by no means the ideal result I do think it turned out alright! 
Both 'Time Travellers were stamped using Black archival Ink n painted using Distress Inks (Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, Black Soot, Stormy Sky) in the water colour paint technique. I used a skin tone pencil crayon to give a touch of colour to their face n hands. A bit of wire created a monocle for the 'Monocled Gent' which after adhering in place was filled with a drop of glossy accents to give a glass effect.
Some chain and a small clock embellishment provided the fob watch for the other Gent
The 'Monocled Gent' n 2 of the cogs were adhered directly onto a piece of black corrugated card stock before adhering the 'wall with a window' in place around them. The remaining cog I topped with a metal cog and along with the 'Fob Watch Gent'  adhered to the outside of the 'wall with a window' using dimensional glue as I wanted it to appear that one gent was inside whilst the other outside. The final touch was an ideology token attached with a brad to the wall .
At this point I decided to make it into a wall hanging rather than a card as I had initially planned to so it was  mounted onto a piece of black mount board cut to size. I created two holes fixed then with eyelets n used loop pins to hang the chain from. Now all it needs is the perfect spot to be hung .
I really enjoyed making this  piece and am happy with the end result! I hope it not only celebrates a Masculine occasion in this case Fathers day but also the crafty genius that is Tim Holtz and the amazing art work of Brett Weldele . 
 I would like to enter this into 

I would also like to enter this into the following Challenges :
Thank you so much for stopping by today - I hope it was worth the visit . 
Until the next time - enjoy the sun, remember to slip, slap, slop 
and I look forward to seeing you again soon 
Amanda x




16 comments:

  1. A fabulous make Amanda, great that you used up a leftover and added such great textures - the cogs are brilliant. Thanks for sharing at A Vintage Journey.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely worth the visit - but then it always is Amanda! I love how you used up that left over from the die cut, the wall looks fantastic and your colouring of the men is superb! I love the tip with the salt too, need to remember that one - thanks so much for the inspiration.

    Thanks too for joining in at A Vintage Journey! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous piece Amanda! Beautifully made. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have said it before and I shall say it again lol, but just love all the details you fit in to your artwork. Who doesn't love a handle bar moustache. Big hugs from Poppy and me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. a gorgeous piece, i love these stamps and your background is amazing x love the textures x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These guys look so cool. I always love the steampunk feel that this gives. Simply wonderful. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - love these framed gents - what wonderful brickwork - and super coloring on the guys - so soft and dimensional! thanks for joining us in the AVJ Celebrations challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love every masculine inch of this Amanda! Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda! :) taking the time to visit you since this project (but also all what I've glimpsed previously on FB) does well worth a complimentary comment! :D This is absolutely gorgeous, and the way you created some lovely details very clever! Love n hugs Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! This is FABULOUS!!!! The brickwork with script and the eye piece, just brilliant! Love it!!!!!!!!!!!! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing!!! You should enter it into Anything But Cute Challenge, the theme is Make it Masculine, this fits the theme so well :) There is still time to enter, if you do, please make sure you link back to our challenge :)
    Samra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a gorgeous masculine project Amanda!! I just love how you did the background, that brickwork is so unique and amazing! Wonderful texture on your gears, so vintage and grungy! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Make It Masculine' challenge, Samra was right, your project is a perfect fit! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many different techniques used on this masculine mixed media masterpiece! Wowzers! Salt and paint do mix, and the results are always a surprise. Hehe! Love the handmade monocle and the chain to hang this fantabulous piece. Your images and the background are so crisp and that is awesome sauce in my book. This is amazeballs!

    Thanks for joining in our Make It Masculine challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda, what a great way to use those gents! I love the addition of the monocle and chain--brilliant! Thank you for sharing your salt and paint discovery with us, too! Looks good and grungy--just the way I like it! Thank you for joining our Make It Masculine challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant piece of artwork. It's perfect for a masculine theme. I love that brick wall. Thank you for entering it into our challenge at ASOI this month.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amanda, just wanted to pop in and say Congratulations on being chosen as a DT Favourite at Anything But Cute! Your wall hanging is just fabulous!! Don't forget to come and grab your badge. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .