Sunday 31 July 2016

Man in the Moon!

Hello and Welcome Everyone .
Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday?
So what brings me here today?  Well  a few weeks ago now, maybe even a month ago  I made a project that I  didn't get round to blogging.  As I think its suitable for a couple of current Challenge blog themes I am here today  share it with you.  I must confess that step by step photos are minimal as I got so engrossed in the creativity that I forgot to capture the moments - sorry!  I can and will though take you on a tour around the canvas accompanied with a few words so you can see all the texture and detail and get a general idea of how it developed.  Its an altered canvas, that I'm calling
 'Man in the Moon'.
 The inspiration for this piece began initially with Seth Apter's Spellbinder die 'Drip Drop'. Seth has  released some fantastic dies, this is just one of them. It was a real 'must have' as soon as I saw it. ( of course the others are 'must haves' too)  as it kinda reminded me of my much loved 'dream catcher'!
 As you can see there are two parts to the die but I only used the outer part for my project, die cutting it 3 times using greyboard, adhering the die cuts together to give depth and thickness. I repeated the process to create a 2nd. I then gessoed and painted both- first a couple of coats of of Brushed Pewter distress paint then a couple of coats of Black Soot distress paint. Once dry I scratched the surface with my finger nail (I got long nails!) to peel back some of the black to reveal the silver. Crackle glaze (Deco Art) provided the cracks. The 2  dies were adhered together, one on top of the other. 
  The canvas was altered using moulding plaster cloth, Distress paint (Hickory Smoke, Black Soot, Picket Fence), crackle paste(Deco Art) and  crackle glaze  Deco Art) to create a crater like surface that resembled something similar to that of the moon as I imagine it.  As you can see I masked off a rough circle in the centre of the canvas for the face and die frame to fit into and built the texture up around the circle 
the 'Man in the Moon' face is stamped in black Archival ink with glossy accents dropped over the eyes (the lens has just about picked  the gloss up)
Both the face and the die cut frame were adhered in place and a fine spritz of 
Mica distress spray (brushed Pewter) finished off the canvas.
Now if your ready I'll take you on a tour around the canvas
Notice the crackle and the texture! 
 Holding the heat gun close to the drying paint created some bubble spots too.
The thickness and depth created by adhering several die cuts together can also be seen. 
This helps give the impression that the face is embedded within the moons surface . 
 So that's my 'Man in the Moon' canvas that I really enjoyed creating .
Time now to head over and link this up to the following  Challenges before time runs out
(the circle of the numerous die cuts and the face) 
Thank you so much for stopping by today. 
I hope you feel your visit has been worthwhile and that you have enjoyed your time with me and 'The Man'
Your visits, your comments and follows are greatly appreciated!
For now  though I will love you and leave you 
and 
look forward to seeing you again soon 
Take care 
Amanda 
xxx

18 comments:

  1. This is incredible Amanda! It genuinely looks like you've altered a piece of stone! Sharing your love for those dies too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spectacular! Totally amazing project, love love that new die!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely brilliant - and thanks so much for sharing how you did it! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amanda, this is such a cool piece of art and very clever. Love it.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Love all the texture and that die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a triumph Amanda! I love all the gorgeous texture you created on your background, the cracks are fabulous and just what I imagine 'moon rock' to look like too. I have serious die envy over that Seth die, not sure why I decided against it but you have made wonderful use of it on this project, I absolutely love it! I hope Seth gets to see this, he would be equally impressed I am sure! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pink!!! you ROCKED this one (no pun intended)lol I always enjoy seeing all your beautiful works of art. Rock On Sister Rock On!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!!! Incredible work of art Amanda! BEAUTIFUL and very striking indeed! All the texture is incredible - looks authentically rocklike. Love the accents on eyes too. Very cool!! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome creation! The texture you created is fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Monday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thrilled to see you on the SSS spotlight list this week! This project deserves the recognition and is truly amazing. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very beautifully made, love it.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! Who is this lovely moon face stamp made by? I would so love to lay my hand to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is superb Amanda, I love the die, but it's your altered canvas that really makes this for me, and of course that lovely image xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda........ i'm speechless! love this piece, you've created a masterpiece, the way you use Seth's die is absolutely brilliant! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this. So much Amanda. I would love to feature it on my blog. Can you email me at shap97@gmail for details? Thanks!! Seth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous piece of art work, love all that gorgeous texture. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amanda, Not much time for blogging lately, but I needed some serious inspiration. So I came to your blog, because you always inspire me! And lo and behold I see I have missed so much! A huge "Hip Hip Hooray!" on being featured on Seth's blog! So well deserved because this is such creative use of his die and all those other products to make this truly look like a rock from outer space! Very well done! Hugs! PS Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You are incredibly creative. What you do with stencils and silver is inspiring!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .