Friday 1 September 2017

Altered Art- A Vintage Journey, September 2017 Challenge

Hello Everyone and Welcome

Hope you are all doing good and have enjoyed a really great summer. Where did it go , I find myself asking? It seems like it came and went all too soon. So as we kick start September we have a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey . Its our lovely Alison hosting this month and her chosen challenge is 'Altered Art.' Here's what Alison has to say:

'We'd like you to get creative with recycled objects in a vintage; shabby, mixed media; art journalling; industrial, timeworn or steampunk style, . Turn something unloved and unwanted into a work of art. Try some repurposing - make something new out of something old, or incorporate an unwanted object into your artwork. Think tin cans and jars, old bottles, toothbrushes - the more inventive the better.'

For this challenge I've made a journal by recycling some strong packaging and an old pair of jeans that were well passed their 'wear by date'. Yes, I had well n truly worn these jeans out and after numerous patchings to try and prolong their wearable life the day finally came when I had to give them up for a new pair. I kept what was left of them thinking I could use them for future patchings but Alison's challenge came along and I thought my much loved jeans deserved to be more than just a patch. I would salvage what was left of them and make myself a journal .
I die cut the journal covers from some strong packaging using Eileen Hulls much sought after Journal die.
I then cut 2 pieces of denim from one of the legs of my old jeans and two of the pockets.. Taking one of the pieces of denim (the front cover) I positioned the pockets and hand sewed them in place.
I then adhered the 2 denim pieces to the journal die cuts (the front and back covers) and lined the inside of the journal covers with Graphic 45 Core'dinations colourcore cardstock trimmed around the edges, sides and spine with Tim Holtz Ideology 'Correspondence' Design Tape.
I then adhered the two covers together and threaded some elastic up and down the spine to hold the signatures .
At this point my signatures are shop bought, one lined , one graph paper ,as I was running short of time but I am hoping to create some of my own soon to either compliment or replace these. Maybe use some recycled papers in keeping with the challenge theme.
The top and bottom strips that cover the spine holes are 2 lengths cut from the jeans inner leg seam adhered in place and finished off with a metal button both back and front .
I also adhered the jeans label/ tag to the back cover .
I made a belt from what was left of the jeans inner leg seam attaching a buckle at one end and  punching out buckle holes along the other end . Fastened around the journal this belt keeps the journal closed and having a number of buckle holes it will accommodate any change in thickness. It could be adhered at the spine but I chose to leave mine loose .
I always love how my lovely teamie Anne adds a charm to her journals so I followed her lead (hope you don't mind Anne) and made a charm using an Ideology philosophy tag and an old phone charm that I was gifted some years ago now. Look whose name it spells 😊
I also adhered a quote chip 'Salvaged' ,distressed around the edges with distress ink -well after all that is what I have done with my jeans to make the journal
and popped an Ideology wooden ruler and a recycled pencil into the pocket...
....a perfect fit!
Yesterdays jeans makes Todays Journal!
I really enjoyed recycling my much loved old jeans, giving them a chance to live on and I hope I have offered some creative inspiration and that you will join in Alison's challenge. Be sure to stop by A Vintage Journey to see the gallery of fabulous inspiring Altered Art projects created by some of our very talented Creative Guides.

As always at the end of the challenge there will be one lucky winner chosen by Random. Org who will receive our Sponsors Prize which this month is a $25 gift card for 
The Creative Guides will also choose 3 Pinworthy winners who will not only win a Pinworthy badge to display on their blog but will also be invited to join us as a Guest Designer for a future challenge.

I would like to enter my journal into the following challenge: 
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: School or Study related. 
( My journal would be ideal to use for School, College or  University! I remember when I was studying I always had to have a new journal at the start of each new academic year.)  
Thank you so much for stopping by today and big thanks too for always leaving me such lovely comments. Both are so very much appreciated.
Have a lovely weekend Everyone
Take care 
and
 keep on the happy side
Amanda
xxx

30 comments:

  1. So clever and cute Amanda, I love the jeans and all the goodies that you added. Great way to up cycle something that you love. Hugs, S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Amanda, this is sooooo clever!! What an ingenious way of using up an old pair of jeans!! I just love how you made use even of the little pocket!!! This is just the most fantastic journal cover ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jean journal is just amazing Amanda, I love how it came together especially with the pocket on the front, such a clever design xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Amanda, I am totally in love with your journal!! What a fabulous way to use an old pair of jeans, you are so fantastically creative!! I love the strip you used for the closure and the correspondence tape is such a perfect finish for the edges. Thrilled too that you used the clip and charm, it looks fabulous. I do hope you will share this in Eileen's Fan Club FB page - it is an absolute delight!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A complete treat, Amanda - what a wonderful way to repurpose a much-loved pair of jeans so that they can still be part of your life. So, so cool!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally love you fabulous journal cover Amanda and what a great idea to use your much loved denims xx Thank You for sharing your step by step too xxx

    Have a great weekend
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your journal is fantastic! You achieved such a tidy finish working with denim, and I love the pocket and the "belt".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely INSPIRED Amanda! What an amazing idea and how well you brought all the little details together. It really is amazing! I just love the little belt and buckle! Fabulous altered art! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So clever Amanda! Love the pocket, belt and title. And so well done- I was wondering how you adhered the fabric- glue? Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just brilliant Amanda, fantastic idea, beautifully executed. You covered the journal covers so beautifully and I love how,you incorporated the pocket too. Wonderful piece of repurposing . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda, this is just the coolest! I know when you carry it around everyone will ask where on earth you bought it! :) I really love the edging and bright red interior - beautiful contrast and details. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful journal and great repurposing of your beloved jeans Amanda! Your pocket placement is perfect on the cover - housing your pencil and ruler. Love the clip with the letter blocks and the great SALVAGED chip! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the old jeans idea my die has just arrived so hope to have first play this weekend so exciting xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! and that still doesn't sum up how fab it is.
    I've ordered that die too (like hundreds of others!)I just hope I can make something half as good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, Amanda, you have done what I've always THOUGHT I would do, but never have! Ha! Ha! GORGEOUS use of your favorite pair of jeans! You have done a great job of perfectly executing this idea! Can you tell I'm just a bit speechless! Bravo, you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWESOME journal cover - just love it!!! Jeans life now extended yippee just so darned COOL !! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! What an awesome repurposing! Love this cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done!!! you knocked this one out into the ball park. Eileen might pay you $$cash to use this journal at the CHA show in January 2018. Thanks for sharing the deets and you have inspired me to make one as well. I have a very well worn pair of jeans that would be perfect for this project. Thanks for sharing.
    Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just got this die and did not realize that this is what you had done when I came here from sssmchallenge. I love this and you inspired me to really think outside of the box for uses for the journal die

    diana @ playing
    playingwithoutlimits.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, this is AWESOME! I absolutely love what you created with an old pair of jeans. This is so creative and original and I just wish you could see the huge smile on my face. (That is after I picked my jaw up off the ground.) It rocks!! Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous and inspired transformation Amanda, adore how you've recycled your jeans to make this amazing journal cover and incorporated so many of the design details like the pockets, seams and buttons! Just a brilliant idea, thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sooo happy to see this in the spotlight at Simon Says Stamp, Amanda! Way to go with this gorgeous journal! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah Amanda - another inspired, unique and clever design... so impressed!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE your journal! I am going to case it if you don't mind!
    BRILLIANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Who would have thought that an old pair of jeans could be recycled into such a fabulous journal cover. This is totally brilliant!!! I love the little belts, the pockets and the gorgeous charm. Absolutely stunning make!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a clever bit of recycling and every time you use it you will be able to remember the fun you had wearing them, brilliant. Thank you so much for the lovely comment over at mine too. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! Great use of the seams also! I love how neatly you finished the edges. Are they just folded back and glued? I really want to try this! So very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the blog visit. I love how you made your own denim book and the jeans pocket for storage looks fabulous on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A fabulous make and a great way to use your old jeans.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .