Friday 2 June 2017

Canvas- A Vintage Journey June 2017 Challenge

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all doing good and have had a great week - the last one in May - this year sure is passing by quickly!  So, as we head into June we have a new Challenge starting today over at A Vintage Journey. It's our lovely Nikki hosting this month and she has chosen the Challenge theme
'Canvas'
"Let's work with canvas this month in our vintage; shabby; mixed media, art journalling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk style. It doesn't matter how as long as some canvas is a dominant feature of your project. Perhaps you may use a canvas in the traditional way or use the reverse to create a shadow box? Canvas boards are fabulous to work on or perhaps you have some canvas sheets which can be cut and adhered to another surface."
Despite having a large collection of canvases in a whole range of sizes amidst my art stash (I'm Amanda and I'm a canvas collector haha) I decided not to disturb the "pack" so to speak and instead used canvas sheet on my 'Broken Maze, Hidden Gem' project.
It was Seth Apters a'MAZE'ing die that provided the inspiration for this project and one that no doubt you will see again in my work as I already have a couple prepped in various guises all 'good to go'.

 I'll start from the base up with the detail, sharing some close ups, mainly of the finished project as I got so involved in the creativity that I forgot to 'point the lens' during the process.
The base
  A 15x15 cm wooden box frame I found in my large stash of alterables (yes,I collect them too haha) primed with gesso and painted with black acrylic paint. For this project I worked on the back of the box frame.The sides are decorated with designer tape by Tim Holtz (Chatter)


and the top, a piece of textured wallpaper cut to size, lightly coloured using Distress inks (Iced Spruce, Tumbled glass, Faded Jeans) with some paint splatters too.

The larger Circle panel . 

 An MDF circular panel covered with Canvas sheet, primed with gesso and then painted with Distress paints (Iced spruce, Bundled Sage, Broken China, Mermaid Lagoon, Black Soot) and a few Deco Art media fluid acrylics (Prussian Blue, Paynes Gray) using brushes and brayers. As per my usual - no set rules just layering up the paint, going with the flow and enjoying the process.

Love how the paint picks up the texture of the canvas, creating instant detail which I added to using stamps (Seth Apter's Dot Matrix, Tattered Screen) as well as textured paper.

The smaller Circle
An old CD (and dare I say it - I seem to have alot of these lying around too) altered with acrylic paint and gesso. Love the subtle detail picked up from the pattern on the paper towel I used to remove some of my over zealous application of gesso .

Further detail again came in the way of stamps (Seth Apters Word Chain, Dot Matrix) with Shadow grey and Jet black Archival ink .

The Broken Maze
created from Seth Apters Broken Maze die. This was die cut about 4 times from greyboard and then layered and adhered one on top of the other to give some dimension and rigidity but only enough to still be able to manipulate the Broken Maze into a dome shape once altered.

The Maze was altered using Tim Holtz Grit paste and then painted (Prussian Blue Media Fluid and
Distress paints as already mentioned) using a dry brush with silver gilding wax used to help enhance the texture of the painted grit paste.
 
I die cut and adhered together a second batch of the Broken Maze using black card stock to act as a drop shadow when assembled. .

I adhered an Ideology faucet knob to the centre of the maze

topped with a black gem bead

underneath which lies a hidden gem (a glass bead altered with alcohol inks)

that
can be seen glistening in the light

  but only found

once you have worked your way through the Broken Maze

I hope my Broken Maze Hidden Gem creation has offered some inspiration to at least some of you stopping by today and that you will join us in our Canvas challenge.
As always at the end of the challenge there will be one lucky winner chosen by Random Org who will receive our Sponsors prize which this month is a $25 gift card kindly donated by Shimmerz Paints
The Creative Guides will also choose 3 Pinworthy winners who will not only win a Pinworthy badge to display on their blog but will also be invited to join us as a Guest Designer for a future challenge .
Don't forget to stop by A Vintage Journey to see the gallery of fabulous canvas projects created by my very talented fellow Creative Guides.
Before I sign out for today I would like to say  "big thanks to Seth Apter for designing so many fabulous products, (yes, I am very happily collecting Seth products now too) for inspiring my creativity with not only your products but with your blog The Altered Page and your own creativity and amazing art! 

Many thanks to all of you too for stopping by today .
Your visits, comments and follows are very much appreciated .
Wishing you all a lovely weekend
Take care and  keep on the happy side
Amanda 

23 comments:

  1. What a clever design and idea Amanda, I love all the details and techniques you used to create this gem of a project (pun intended lol) and how brilliantly it all came together xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally gorgeous piece Amanda! Love the variety of textures you've achieved and the Great way you have used Seth's products , love the way you have raised up the centre of the maze to conceal the little gem , lovely idea! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You collect canvases, I collect plants, vintage pieces, stamps oh dear I am embarrassing myself lol. Love your canvas and that base oh my word absolutely gorgeous. This is a textural, dimensional feast for the eyes. Gorgeous Amanda. Have a lovely weekend. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous piece Amanda and such a fun theme! Beautiful work with the Seth dies and I love your hidden gem! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Amanda, and I think this is my favourite of Seths die and you've used it brilliantly
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!! Such a clever idea to create the dome out of the maze! Really stunning from start to finish Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the a-maze-ing design! Such a clever idea to dome the centre to add the hidden gem underneath. Utterly imaginative Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful layering of blues/blacks/whites Amanda! Love the colors on the canvas and on the circle maze - a wonderful design on your canvas project! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally love your Hidden Gem project Amanda xx the way you have layered and manipulated Seth's die is amazing and hiding the gem there so clever. The background details are so wonderful too..........great work and I love it!!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the texture and industrial feel of your canvas sheet Amanda. We are all hoarders of something, just in our nature as crafters. Great job on this one.
    S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, LOVE this project and I adore all the gorgeous texture and that wonderful dimension you've achieved with the die ~ so, so clever and such a unique idea! It's an amazing piece of artwork, Amanda ~ just stunning! Big hugs and lots of love and smiles... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda, you have outdone yourself again, my friend! What a feast for the eyes! I love how you've built up your design with the little treasure hidden within. The colors and industrial design just steal my heart! I had a good chuckle over your tendency to hoard supplies. I think we could use a group session! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS Thank you for the fabulous step out post! I really enjoyed reading about your process, and it was so clearly laid out. Saving to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Completely and totally stunning Amanda (like all of your work!), your attention to detail is second to none! I love how you raised the dome up to give even more dimension - clever idea, beautifully executed! Apologies for lateness, we have been away. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just incredible how you've created that dimensional dome with Seth's die, Amanda - and the textures throughout are glorious! I love the idea that you have to make your way through the layers of the maze to find the jewel at its heart. Fantastic canvas inspiration (even if you still haven't broken into your canvas collection!).
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolute gorgeousness! The sides of the box alone had me drooling, then those lovely layered circles and fabulous variety of blues! WOW! This is such an inspiration! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing creation! I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous canvas Amanda, gorgeous textures and layers and brilliant to use the CD for your base layer! Love Seth's dies too and they look wonderful surmounted by that great faucet handle with that secret hidden beneath it. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fabulous!!! love the color palette , blue is fabulous and all the textures you've created are amazing! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well I hope you can hear my applause from across the water Amanda!! One of the best labyrinths ever! From the get go I love your range of base materials, and then your creative use of all the ingredients is magical. Especially love the dome, gem and shadow effect. Very clever and wonderfully artistic. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful creation. Love the details. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see your lovely art work back here again soon. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous project. Great techniques and fab detail. Thanks for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so incredibly creative....and talented. Loving this piece x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .