Thursday 5 May 2016

'Opposites Attract'- Guest Designer at Frilly and Funky !

HI Everyone and Welcome 

Today I am a Guest designer over at Frilly and Funkie and I really am thrilled to have been given this opportunity to share a little of my creativity on such a prestigious blog.
The current Challenge theme is 'Opposites Attract', hosted by Kathy and here is what she says :
'For this Challenge, the Frilly side of the team will be asked to create a project in a Funkie style and the Funkie style will create a Frilly style project. Dig deep and create any kind of project you choose, as long as it is not done in your usual style and colour palette.'
 Given that my creative style tends more to the 'Funkie' than the 'Frilly' this Challenge theme required me to find and embrace my 'Inner Frilly' to create my project of choice.
but I don't do frilly!! 
EEK!!!!
I could wax lyrical and really make you smile, howl with laughter infact, at the chaos and drama that ensued as I dug deep to search for my frilly more 'girly' side but I won't. Lets just say 'Once a tomboy always a tomboy' and this definitely proved to be quite a challenge. 
 Heres the card I have made 
 
To create my card  I have used papers, inks, diecuts, crafted flowers, ribbons, gem beads and a meaningful quote. As the challenge suggest I have chosen to use a colour outside my preferred palette - Peach-(it is infact the first time ever I have used Tattered rose Distress Ink) combining it with cream and delicate accents of brown. 

The papers are miscellaneous ones I found in my stash -I know the larger one is by Graphic 45 but not sure about the smaller one. The sides of the larger paper panel are ragged and all sides of both panels are lightly distressed with Gathered Twigs Distress ink. I added some script stamping to the smaller paper panel using Tattered Rose Distress Ink.

Next I created the flowers. I really enjoyed making these and though I have made flowers before I knew this was the ideal time for me to visit a very talented lovely lady and friend, my teamie Jennie and follow her Paper Rose Tutorial  that she shares on her blog. Jennie really is (in my humble opinion) the 'Queen' of flower making. 
The die I used is Tim Holtz Tattered Garland strip die. Once the flowers were assembled I distressed the petals lightly with Tattered Rose and Gathered Twigs Distress ink and embellished them with pearl beads.  
Thank you Jennie I am really pleased with how these turned out
 
 The leaves are die cut using Tim Holtz Spring Greenery strip die, distressed just like the flowers and manipulated to give them shape .
 
The wildflowers ,die cut using Tim Holtz New Wildflower thinlit dies, are distressed like the flowers and leaves and I have to confess I succumb to my 'funkie' urges and crazed them with Tim Holtz Crazing medium, highlighting the crazing with gold Gilding Wax. The crazing is only subtle so I figured that was ok .  
 The  sentiment is stamped In Sepia Archival Ink and the butterflies I found in my 'pre-cut/ punched'  stash.  
Now it was just a matter of adhering everything in place and this involved lots of fiddling and faffing with placement and adhesion of all the elements
Heres a few close ups .....
.....the crazing on the wildflower,
the flowers
The butterfly embellished with a pearl bead pin, (the script stamping can be seen in this photo too) 
and the quote. 
and once again my finished card.
How frilly it is, well, I guess you can decide but it is definitely prettier, more feminine and I think closer to frilly than I would usually create.

If you fancy joining in this Challenge there's still plenty of time to enter - just head over to Frilly and Funkie's blog to find out more details and lots of inspiration from the Design team and then go have some fun creating  in either a frilly or funky style. 
Huge thanks again to all the team at Frilly and Funkie for the Guest design spot today - it has been a real priviledge and honour!
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today and for the lovely comments you continually leave. I hope you know just how much both are greatly appreciated . 
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend 
Take care 
Amanda 
xxx

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Amanda! This is just glorious! I know this was a stretch for you, but you pulled it off with style! The details are so gorgeous. I love the crazing on the wildflowers, your roses are perfection and the stick pin/butterfly combo makes my heart go pitty pat! Thank you so much for being our guest designer at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine your inner turmoil - but is a gorgeous card - love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, AMANDA!!! This is such a fantastic card design! My mom and I are having a pinterest inspired weekend and rest assured THIS PROJECT WILL BE CASED! ;0 Totally love it, even if it's not your norm. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very nearly speechless - not because you have drawn on your inner Frilly but because you have created one of the most beautiful and feminine cards ever! It is exquisite Amanda - you did Jennie proud I am sure with those gorgeous blooms. The crackles on the wildflowers looks so beautiful. This really is an exquisite card - I love it!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - did you see the new challenge over at Stamps and Stencils.... just saying!? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first saw this Amanda I thought it was one of Jennie's makes. It is absolutely beautiful! In fact, yes, you do do frilly! Gorgeously! Congrats on your guest spot. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just been enjoying this over at F&F - what a brilliant guest design spot and an inspiring leap out of your comfort zone, but to a place of such beauty! Love the delicate crazing on the wildflowers (good to see that close up here), and the whole card is an absolute delight.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, I was just delighted to see you at Frilly and Funkie, but when I scrolled down and saw your make, I thought there must have been some mistake (I'm a poet, but I don't know it, but my feet show it; they're Longfellows!). You make an mean frilly card, my dear, Tom Boy or not! Just goes to show what a versatile artist you are! Love those blossoms, both layered up and the crazed ones! And guess what? My "Life is Good" tee shirt I'm wearing today reads the same as your sentiment, except the last line is Today's the Day! Congratulations! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just had to come over from FB to have a closer look at your beautiful card. It's exquisite, love it. Congrats on your GD spot.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda... you've done again!This is WONDERFUL! love the flowers , what of paper you use for the roses? They are incredible! fantastic BArbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. a gorgeous project and you did make the frilly side look easy....and elegant x hugsx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Amanda, the fabulous design, the gorgeous colour palette and wonderful elements and techniques you have included, just brilliant xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with being a tomboy! I LOVE the neutral palette on the flowers...really stunning! Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well -you certainly pulled 'frilly' off with your beautiful creation today Amanda! Wonderful soft coloring and beautiful layering of flowers and stems surrounding the front and center sentiment! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so very beautiful. I just sat and stared to take it all in.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend Amanda, big hugs from Poppy and me xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .