Tuesday 1 December 2015

Christmas Crackle

Hello  and Welcome Everyone 

It seems like an age since I last blogged but its good to be back  kicking of December with a christmasy post. I don't know about you but I can't believe the festive season is upon us already ! Where did this year go??
So today I have a little bit of Christmas 'Crackle' to share with you that is easy to create and makes a unique Christmas decoration. that would make a fabulous very affordable hand crafted gift for an appreciative friend or relative.
Using a paper mache bauble that I picked up at a leading craft retailers for just £1 I primed the bauble using Gesso. Once dry I then applied a couple of coats of 'Midnight Blue ' Acrylic paint over the gesso leaving to dry between each coat. 
To create the crackle I used Viva Decor Croco Medium ( transparent). If you're not familiar with it, its a textural type paste that creates a crackle effect!

I applied a very generous layer over the painted surfaces of the bauble (The thicker the application the deeper the crackle) and set aside to air dry for at least 24 hours. In order to achieve the best results and some fabulous crackle patience is an absolute when using Croco .
 Heres the a photo of the crackle developing 
Once the Croco had thoroughly dried I then applied a little more acrylic paint and highlighted the fabulous crackle using both Silver and Gold gilding wax. I think Gold helps add a touch of warmth when used with silver . 
Aa few close up photos of the crackle  




I decorated the bauble with a poinsetta that I die cut using silver and deep blue textured card . I added a tiny hex nut to the centre of the poinsetta topped with a deep blue bead and adhered in place with some coiled silver wire for that extra finishing touch .
Here is my  Altered Christmas bauble



A pretty impressive makeover all thanks to the Croco magic!

I would like to enter my bauble into the following challenges:

Mixed Media World -#9- Anything Goes 
Mixed Media Monthly #19 Silver and Gold  

Anything But Cute Challenge #7 - its Ornamental

 Well time now for me to go and try and work my magic on another bit of creativity. Thanks so much for popping by today and hope to see you again sooner than soon . 
Take care 
Amanda x 

17 comments:

  1. This is so lush and gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely amazing -brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Amanda, what a fabulous transformation! Those cracks are superb and I just love your colour choices. The poinsettia looks stunning in blue and the hex nut thingy makes a perfect centre. This would be a beautiful addition to anyone's Christmas tree!

    Thanks so much for joining in our 'It's Ornamental' challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow Amanda, that is some killer texture. WOWZERS!!! Love the high contrast in the colours and I'm so glad you decorated sparingly and let the crackle speak for itself!! Brilliant ornament!! I've just added Croco Crackling Colour to my extremely fast growing Christmas wish list!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'It's Ornamental' challenge! I didn't see your thumbnail over there, but I assume your post is a scheduled one and you just haven't gotten to it yet. Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, that ornament is GoRgeous! I just love that crackle effect and the colors are fantastic! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous, Amanda. I think you can add Queen of Crackle to your creative resume! A treasure, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes - that sure is some heavy deep crackle! what a wonderful ornament you created with it!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOH! I saw this yesterday, but Blogger would not allow me to comment, so I had to come back and see this amazing crackled bauble once again! Beautiful color choices, and again, that CRACKLE is amazing! I bet you could sell that medium on street corners--it's like Crack (le)! Definitely added to my wish list!

    Thank you for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous work!
    Thank you for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is some seriously gorgeous crackle. This will sparkle near the lights on your tree. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sucker me doodled! Those cracks are cracktastic! What an unbelievable depth and deliciousness to this bauble. Gorfeous choice of colors and highlights. Genius of you to leave most of the ornament open so the eye can take in all the loveliness! Wowzers and awesome sauce!

    Thanks for joining in our "It's Ornamental" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I not know about this crackle?! Lol.
    It's perfect for Christmassy icy things!
    Your bauble is gorgeous and I must say how thrilled I was to see you featured in Craft Stamper. Yay!
    Big hugs from Poppy and me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A stunning project, so beautifully done! Love the crackle and texture! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amanda! Congratulations on your Honourable Mention at Anything But Cute!! Your ornament is so amazing! Thanks for all your support, don't forget to drop in and pick up your badge! hugs Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely need to get a jar of that Magic!!! Beautiful Amanda!!
    Merry Christmas!
    Sandy Claus xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a gorgeous ornament. I love how you used the silver and gold wax. Thanks so much for playing at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness i am in awe of those deep cracks! i think i need to buy some of that stuff. the wax covering is gorgeous. what a pretty piece. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge! Happy New Year!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .