Monday 4 April 2016

Love and Peace!

Hi There
How ya all doing? Hope you've all had a lovely weekend. 
 I've been getting inky making a couple of cards/ art panels ( not decided as yet) for a few challenges that are running at the moment, in fact I'm cutting it fine as the clocks nearing the deadline as I type. So with that said I better crack on with this post.


So the challenges that I had in mind when creating these pieces are (in no particular order) 'Hip to be Square' over at Frilly and Funky , Crazy for colour at Anything but Cute and 'All Things Bright and Beautiful' at That's Crafty .

It was  the hip to be square challenge that I guess got my initial idea and inspiration flowing and that was of the 'Tye dye' fashion of the 60's and 70's. I remember how much I used to love tie dying  t'shirts and sneakers back in my formative years when I was so cool and trendy (coughs). I loved the whole hippy look , the long fringed skirts and the embroidered tops , the denim and tie dye t'shirts - I still have a wardrobe full of them but before I bore you with tales of my youth, my thoughts were along the lines of  'I wonder if I can create a tie dye look using paper or card and the same method as you would if you were using fabric?
Well it was worth a try - so I gathered up my supplies - dylusion sprays - I wanted vibrant colours so opted for 3, some basic copier paper (you could use lightweight card stock) and some string.
I cut the paper into squares and then concertina folded them, one along the vertical (or horizontal depending how you look at it) the other along the diagonal. I then tied string around the folded paper, just as you would when tie dying fabric . 
 

Next I sprayed the folded paper using 3 different colours of spray drying off between each. Once happy I cut the string and opened up the folds. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the results.
 The vertical fold 


and the diagonal fold


Once completely dry I adhered the squares of tie died paper to a piece of square card to give them the extra strength they needed. I added a touch more vibrancy to the colours using Tim Holtz distress crayons. I also darkened the edges of the panels with black soot distress crayon and smudged it with my finger .
Now all that was needed were my focal images and there was only two stencils I had in mind- Andy Skinners 'Hippy Chick' and for the lettering, one by Iamagination Crafts called 'Peace, Love, Joy'. The font was just perfect for the 60's/ 70s mood/ feel / look  I was trying to portray .
Both the 'Chicks' and the 'words' are stenciled using texture paste and Deco Art black acrylic paint.
Further detail was added to both panels using a selection of stamps and Black archival ink and just a few splats of acrylic paint added to the 'Peace' panel.

Both panels are adhered to a square white card mount, edges distressed with mustard seed distress ink and then onto a black card square mount.
Here are a few photos of each of the funky art panels...
.....first up 'Love'



I love how the addition of mustard seed distress crayon adds a vibrant sunshine glow.


  

and now 'Peace!'







Oh what messy inky fun I had creating these two pieces of funky vibrant art -  I loved every minute 
(even my deeply stained fingers). I can but hope you like, maybe even love them too. 

Time now to enter them into the following challenges 

Thanks as always for stopping by today, your comments, visits and follow are greatly appreciated .
Wishing you all a fabulous week ahead . 
Hope its full of Love , peace and Jelly babies 
Take care 
Amanda 
xxx

29 comments:

  1. Awesome work amanda ... i love the tie dying idea..will be trying that for sure... beautiful and bright. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How utterly cool is this, Amanda! How on earth did you think of this! So much fun and a perfect use of these vivid spray inks. Dina Wakely herself would be proud of this creation!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. amanda,
    A Huge high five to you on this tie dyed set of cards! My first thought in joining the Hip to be Square challenge was to do tie die,but I got distracted. I'm so happy I didn't pursue that route, because you have ACED it! Wow, Wow WOWIE! Love these retro colorful cards!

    And I see you joined our Crazy For Color challenge at Anything But Cute, so I'll thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us there, too! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am genuinely BLOWN AWAY by these Amanda!!!!!!!!!!!! Pure creative genius! Perfect! I LOVE THEM! Needless to say - thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. hI Amanda, love your experimenting , the backgrounds look fabulous set against the silhouette bold imagery . Lovely idea . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink!!!!!! You rocked this one, a girl after my own heart. Love the vibrant colors and of course the LOVE❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning result really need to try this, thanks for a fabulous idea
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How clever are you Amanda!!! Your tie dyeing is quite simply FAB-U-LOUS, so, so clever and so very effective. it looks amazing and really makes those images stand out beautifully. Love this - a lot!

    Thanks so much for joining in our Crazy for Colour challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg those tie dye effects are just so amazing, perfectly realistic and reminiscent of those hippy days, I well remember wearing loons and caftans. Love your finished works of art that match the era perfectly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic, clever and vibrant creations! I am completely blown away! Brilliant!
    Thank you so much for joining in our Crazy For Colour challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Branka DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY AWESOME!!! What a fab new technique - LOVE IT!!!!! Two stunning art pieces AWESOME !!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a genius project, Amanda! Your technique is amazing, your color palette is full of zing, and your silhouette perfect against that background. Applause! Applause!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic cards ! The tye die effect you've achieved looks amazing ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool cards/art panels! Thanks for the tut on this as it looks like a lot of fun! Think I'll try it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Amanda for your lovely words.... Just popping by to send you some love tooxxx ADORE what you have made xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are STUNNING! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the retro-tastic-ness of them both. They scream "Groovy baby yeah"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truly a blast from the past with all this tie die glory Amanda! The silhouette images look fantastic against all the color - what fun 'hip' designs!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to put my sunglasses on for this one lol!
    Just love them, great fun and full of energy :)
    Sending lots of love from Poppy and me, hope you have a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow !! That is certainly bright ! I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is simply gorgeous! I love the idea and colours work perfect together. Fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant! Loved what you did with the tie die and thought it was groovy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations, Amanda, for your WELL DESERVED win at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the well deserved win. Absolutely love your projects. Fun, vibrant and you really nailed the theme. Thank you for the inspiration and the idea about the tie dying...will file that one away. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so happy that you won at F&F with this way cool piece, biggest congrats!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry. I'm playing catch up. It's been a busy couple of weeks. Your cards are absolutely stunning. A brilliant idea beautifully executed. Love it! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely groovy! Brilliant use of colour and fab tie-dye effects... I see from the other comments that these won at F&F - and rightly so!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are real stunners Amanda, and I loved seeing how they came together xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Following my comment (Just left, today 5/1/2018) on your tag post..... Sorry, probably completely confused you now. Anywaaaaay (get to the point), your tie dying is absolutely fantastic! What a great, inspired idea? Your focal images & words compliment perfectly. Kudos. Tyfs

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just had to come back again to check out these oh so cool backgrounds xx Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for leaving comments . Both are very much appreciated .